Sunday, November 3, 2013

Evolution Of My Dreams And Understandings

My first aim in life as far as I can remember (I was 2 or 3 years old at that time) (1988 / 1989) was to become a milkman. To be precise, the goal was not about becoming a milkman. Rather, I wanted to become the honest person (who was a milkman by the name Mubarak) continuously appreciated by my parents. (“I want to become Mubarak.”) 

Next, I wanted to become a building mechanic. I used to stare with awe at those mechanics who built houses. My uncle sent me a box of tools as gift from America.

My next major change in aim occurred when I wanted to join the military. Each night, I used to wait awake until the national anthem was played with the national flag on BTV and I used to salute throughout the play. I used to watch a television program depicting military life. My uncles used to joke - “Tahsin wants to become the President!”. 


My mom told me of an incident that took place when I was a baby of few months old (1986 / 1987). One day, General Ershad (who was then the President) was delivering a speech. My mom was studying for her exams. I was lying right beside my maternal Grandfather. My Grandfather suddenly started praying loudly, "God, make my grandson a President just like President Ershad." My Grandmother called my mom, "Come. Quick. See how your dad is praying for your son!"     

During first grade (1993), the serial that influenced me most was “The sword of Tipu Sultan”. Tipu Sultan and Hyder Ali were my hero at that time. The serial drew me to History. I was deeply influenced by another historical novel during Grade 3 / 4 - “খুন রাঙ্গা পথ”. Besides History, books on General Knowledge were among my favorites from an early age. My father bought me my first book on General Knowledge at the age of 5. Then I found general knowledge books in my aunt’s house. Later, I started buying general knowledge books myself. I used to stare at the world map and fantasize (
Grade 3 / 4). I fantasized of first becoming a King of ancient Bengal, then King of Myanmar and later King / lifetime President of Kazakhstan. 

I remember playing computer games (Soccer and Prince of Persia) at one of our relative’s house during fifth grade (1997). Almost everyone around me wanted to become a Computer Engineer at that time. So I thought I should try to become one myself - a Computer Engineer.

During my middle school days, I was a voracious reader of novels. Reading novels was the most fun activity I could think of. I could understand different writing techniques employed by novelists. Becoming a novelist, writing great novels was my dream during 7th to 10th grade (1999 - 2002). For living, I could become a Physician, Engineer or Architect.

During 10th grade, I was determined to study medicine (there was huge encouragement from my parents) and become a Physician besides writing novels.

When I read a book on Psychology for the first time (my mom’s book on Educational Psychology from her M.Ed. course), I understood that an intense interest in the workings of human mind is one of the reasons I wanted to become a novelist. Moreover, Literature could only depict human subjective experience, but the objective theories of Psychology applied to all humans.

I thought that I could become a Physician and specialize in Psychiatry or Neurology.

Studying Psychology helped me understand the essence of science - understanding the experimentally provable general rules that govern everything we see around us.

Studying Psychology gave me the confidence that I can come up with original ideas, that I should question what is written in books.

Trying to understand the theories of Psychology in terms of my own experiences and what I see around me, made me aware of the connection between real world and the world of books and theories.

One day, as I was preparing for my high school (11th grade) admission test (later it was decided that admission would be based on results of matriculation exam), a chapter on different forms of energy from my Physics book grabbed my attention. I thought that maybe I could work on both Psychology / Neurology and Physics. I went through my 9-10th grade Physics book. I thought and wrote down my understandings. I bought other books on Physics (e.g., A Brief History of Time).

Physics taught me to understand everything in terms of fundamental constituents and few fundamental laws that govern everything we see around us.

Physics made me realize the necessity of learning Mathematics. Mathematical Olympiad was gaining popularity in Bangladesh at that time (it was 2003). I bought books and started solving problems.

One of the first problem books was “নিউরনে অনুরণন” (“Resonance in neurons”). The idea was creating resonance in neurons of your brain by solving problems rather than leaving those neurons idle!

I found out that the more I worked on problems, the better I could think - my neurons were really resonating! My interest in Psychology helped me appreciate brain function improvement and mathematical problem solving better. I discovered ways of improving brain function myself. 


It was an amazing realization - I could become anyone I wanted if I worked in the right way.

Other sciences started grabbing my attention. Psychology led me to Neuroscience - the biology of what happens in the mind. Physics led me to Cosmology (the study of the evolution of the Universe) and some of those books described evolution of our planet and Biological evolution. Evolutionary Biology was among my favorites. At that point, I saw myself as a future Scientist - trying to understand the truth and decode the laws of nature.

I became interested in Computer Science and Engineering for the first time after reading an article which described the field of Artificial Intelligence The
 article was written by Dr. Ali Asgar (প্রফেসর ডঃ আলি আসগর) included in a popular science book ("বিজ্ঞানের বিচিত্র জগত থেকে") by him . I learned about the fields of Neuroscience and Evolutionary Biology from his books.) (Grade 11). Psychology and Neuroscience always grabbed my attention. So when I figured out that there is a subfield in CS that tries to emulate intelligence on computers, I became interested almost instantly. Later, I participated in International Mathematical Olympiad, 2005 along with 2 others who were serious participants in programming contests and I felt that I really liked contests and competitions. Besides, computation seem to be everywhere - required in almost every branch. I could do Physics on computers. I read an inspirational book (“মেধাবী মানুষের গল্প” - ডঃ কায়কোবাদ) which depicted lives of eminent Computer Scientists and students of Computer Science. The choice was either Physics or Computer Science and Engineering, but my parents wouldn't have accepted if I had chosen Physics. Choosing Computer Science and Engineering also made sense when I considered the practical aspects - making money and marrying a nice girl - both at an early age. I thought that I could still pursue my multi-disciplinary interests besides studying CSE at college. 

In college, things didn't go out as I had expected but I am happy now and that's all that matters at the end!



If you find my life and my understandings interesting you might like Looking back and connecting the dots.

During April 2013, I thought that I should try to analyze and understand and learn from everything I see around me - just as I did with the sciences and engineering. I started with the political situation in Bangladesh. I wanted to find out what would happen if I started a new political party. Next, I applied my analysis to different domains.



I am coming across new understandings almost on a daily basis. I am looking forward to share my newer understandings at sometime in not too distant future - “living to tell the tale” - truly!

No comments:

Post a Comment